L'Aratro restaurant was born on February 4, 1987 from the vision of its patron, Domenico Laera, to create a special place. A place where you can make the passion for the typicality and tradition of the Alberobello area available to its customers.
After renovating a complex of trulli where until then was located one of the most impressive Apulian wine bars he managed, Domenico gives life to the "L’Aratro restaurant". As a child of his land and tradition, he tries to pass on to his customers everything that his parents and grandparents have passed on to him over the years: "love for their territory".
The restaurant is located in one of the most prestigious locations in the historic center of Alberobello. The rooms are finely restored and show all the original stone structure of the trulli, with walls enriched with antiques from the peasant tradition.
Outside, you can enjoy the most magical place of this restaurant, the terrace, with the two bell towers of the basilica on the horizon and the stone cones of the trulli as a backdrop to your banquet.
L'Aratro restaurant offers traditional dishes in the purest form, without ever depriving them of a pinch of imagination and using only genuine local ingredients. It also has a rich wine cellar, supplied by Apulian producers. More than one hundred labels are collected on the card, with ample space for indigenous vines.
(updated to October 2022)
Full Taste Menu
- Selection of "l'Aratro" appetizers
- Tasting of two typical first courses of the local tradition
- Second course proposed by the chef (preserving the culinary tradition of Alberobello)
- Semifreddo with Toritto almonds and almond milk.
- First course of pasta recommended by the Chef
- Pork sausage cooked on the grill
- Mixed salad
- Full l'Aratro Appetizer (Variety of typical products and raw materials daily sought by local producers)
- Martina Franca capocollo and fresh cacioricotta cheese (Capocollo from Martina Franca and fresh ricotta cheese with local milk)
- Parma ham and burrata cheese (Parma ham marinated in grapes marc from Primitivo Wine with typical Burrata cheese and sun-dried tomatoes)
- Local cheese selection (A wide and comprehensive selection of local award-winning cheeses such as Burrata, Mozzarella, cacioricotta, Caciocavallo marinated with wine, pallone di Gravina, caciocavallo Podolico, all accompanied by typical chutneys)
- Orecchiette with turnip tops (Classic recipe of homemade Orecchiette pasta with turnip tops, fried salted anchovies, garlic, chili peppers, cherry tomatoes from Torre Guaceto, and fried bread)
- Cavatellucci with mussels and beans (Homemade cavatellucci pasta with local beans, mussels from the Gulf of Taranto, and red onions from Acquaviva)
- Fava beans and chicory (Classic recipe of sun dried fava beans from Carpino cooked with wild chicory from our countryside)
- Fricelli with cauliflowers and tomatoes (Homemade fricelli pasta with fresh cherry tomatoes from Torre Guaceto, red onions from Acquaviva, cauliflower from Polignano a Mare village, caciocavallo cheese, and fried bread)
- Mother earth cavatellucci (Homemade cavatellucci pasta with cherry tomatoes from Torre Guaceto, red onions from Acquaviva, and Capocollo from Martina Franca with a sauce of mashed fava beans from Carpino)
- Wheat with seafood
MEAT & FISH COURSES
- Mixed grilled meat (Local lamb, pork sausages, pork rolls, and pork shoulder grilled on olive tree wood)
- Tiella paesana (Local lamb chops cooked in terracotta pot with potatoes, wild Lampascioni onions, and Apulian Canestrato cheese) Grilled sausages (Local pork sausages grilled on olive tree wood)
- Piglet fillet (Pork Fillet cooked in a pan with a reduction of figs flavored red wine)
- Veal chop (Veal Chop grilled on olive tree wood)
- Podolica chop (Podolica: native cow of our territory that is raised in the free state)
- Sea bass fillet (Fillet of sea bass prepared with a crudaiola of cherry tomatoes "fiaschetto of Torre Guaceto", ricotta cheese, basil and Extra virgin olive oil "Cima Di Mola")
- Mixed salad (Lettuce, tomatoes, carrots and seasonal other vegetables)
- Green salad
- Wild chicories (Locally sourced wild chicories pan-fried with garlic and chilies)
FRUIT & DESSERT
- Fruit platter