Visit the town of Alberobello

Rione Monti

The district made of trulli that lays in southern side of the town, the so called "Rione Monti", collects the largest part of the conical roofs and it's the most characteristical outloook of the city. Already recognized as national monument since the Twenties, togheter with the so called "Aia piccola" quarter, are the parts of the city that have been declared Human heritage by UNESCO. Nowadays the lanes of this district are less resided and used for commercial purpose, mostly for touristic shops, so that they create an interesting and lively bazar. The district is visited every year by thousands of visitors.

Rione Aia Piccola

The name means "Small yard district". It is located in the south-eastern slope of Alberobello and takes his name by an ancient yard, "smaller" than another one also present in the nearby, that was used mostly to collect the tithes. Nowadays the whole district is the most rapresentative and calm of the city, still inhabited by citizens and free from the chaotic mood of the other district of trulli. Here it's still possible to feel the charm of this unique kind of housing. National monument since 1930 and Unesco World Heritage since 1996, the "Rione Aia Piccola" it's surely a must for those who visits the town of Alberobello.

Trullo Sovrano

Just a little northward from the main church, lays the so called "Trullo Sovrano". Inside you can find a museum that shows how the everyday life into a trullo was used to be. It was built around the 1797 by the wealthy family of the priest Cataldo Perta. This is the highest level of the trullo's building technique, in facts, even if has been built following the building rules imposed by the Count Giangirolamo Acquaviva, this is the only trullo built with two livable floors. With his 14 meters high roof, it has the peculiarity of a pediment elevated to the 2nd floor, reachable through a stairway cleverly build into one of the main walls. National monument since 1923, was formerly used as seminary, where were kept the relics of the saints before the building of the current Sanctuary.

S. Anthony's Church

St. Antony's Church is a greek cross shaped church built on the toponym of "Rione Monti's" district, unique of his kind because it's entirely made by trulli. The construction is recent, it was built in 1927. The contrast between the newest and "improved" northern side of the city and the "poorer" southern side, entirely made of trulli, was once really strong. To avoid the "discomfort" of the southern citizens to follow the Mass into a distant and "bourgeois" church, the local parish took the initiative to build a new church for the poor district of the town. In fact, in that district, since the declaration of the area as National Monument in 1910, it was forbidden to build different kind of buildings in exception of trulli, so it was considered ad the poor neighborhood of the town. During the years between II World War and the '80's, it was radicated the common idea of the trullo as a symbol of poverty and backwardness. This idea led up to destroy of hundreds of trulli located outside the protected areas, to be replaced be "modern" buildings. Entire blocks around the St. Medics church end in the north-eastern side of the town, once entirely made of trulli, today do not exist anymore.

Saints Cosma and Damian's Church

Unmistakable elements of the city's skyline are the two bell towers of the Saints Cosma & Damian's church. The monument, one of most important of the city, lays on the northern side of the hystorical center. The present structure of the church date back to 1885, a work of the most notorious architect of Alberobello, Antonio Curri. The church is linked to the Saint's ritual, in fact inside you can find the two wooden statues (1782 and 1784) and the reliquary containing some bones fragments of the Saints. The project by architect Antonio Curri, was led across the years until was finished only in 1914. The only unfinished element of the project was the majestic dome at the centre of the latin cross shape. During the 26th and the 27th of September occurs the celebration of the Saint's city holiday, that summons a crowd of pilgrims from the nearby towns, and as tradition claims, they travel the entire route by foot.

D'Amore House

Before the official recognition of the city in 1797 by King Ferdinand IV of Naples, it was forbidden by the local Counts to build stable buildings. They shold be built only by dry stone. D'amore's house signs clearly the passage from a "unlawful" town to a royal one. As the latin inscription on his walls says: "First building erected from royal authority". Francesco D'Amore, the owner of this house, was the first citizen to build his house with mortar in the town of Alberobello, after this buildings and trulli were built with the so called "malta" a mixture of lime and a red local ground called "vuolo". In many of the ancient buildings of Alberobello you can still see this particular cement between the stones.

Trulli Siamesi

In the heart of "Rione Monti" district you can find a couple of trulli with a true singular shape, they looks like they are part of a same complex, but they are still divided. Beside of the legend, that is part of the couriosities of the city, they say a lot about the way of living of the old town and how the trulli complexes, based on a family organization, used to grow and shaped the murgian territory.

Museum of the territory

The former house of the medic Giacomo Pezzolla, holds the local museum dedicated to the culture and the territory of Alberobello. The museum, small but highly interesting, collects many material and immaterial relics regarding the origins of the trulli and the extraordinary peasant culture at his basis. Along the path inside his sections, it's possible to know the historical route of the city, the main farming activities, the architectural tecniques and about the everyday life of the olden citiziens of Alberobello. The museum respects the following opening time: 10:00 AM - 13:00 PM / 15:30 PM - 19:00 PM. Closed on Monday. Tickets Individual visits with map guide:

Olive's oil museum

In the Aia piccola district you can visit the olive oil museum. Inside you'll find the instruments and tools used in the past for the production of this precious food. In the various explanatory panels are illustrated the qualities of olives from Puglia, the production process, from harvesting to milling. The museum respects the following opening time: 10:00 AM - 13:00 PM / 15:30 PM - 19:00 PM. Closed on Monday. Tickets Individual visits with map guide:

Alberobello Light Festival LIFE 2017

Alberobello Light Festival, the kermesse dedicated to the light and set in the magical trulli town, is back from the 30th September to 8th October, 2017...

Read more...